On 12 November 2020 Xperi’s team in Ireland hosted a virtual seminar in co-operation with Seán Kelly, MEP at the European Parliament on the topic of Trustworthy AI (Artificial Intelligence).
Hosted by Seán Kelly, MEP and Xperi (Ireland)
Artificial Intelligence (AI) now permeates the daily fabric of the lives of all European citizens. So much so that the European Commission released its “White Paper on AI” in February 2020 aimed at realising an ‘ecosystem of excellence’ and an ‘ecosystem of trust’. This seminar was hosted by Seán Kelly, MEP for Ireland and Xperi (Ireland), and sought to explain that not all uses nor AIs are equal and they need to be considered in a nuanced manner. The seminar gave a broad industry perspective on how Trustworthy AI should be developed and also discussed how regulation could impact innovative product development.
The 2-hour seminar included the following content:
- Introduction from Gabriel Cosgrave, General Manager for Xperi EMEA
- Opening thoughts from Seán Kelly, MEP
- Keynote from Eva Kaili, MEP and Chair of the Future of Science and Technology Panel in the European Parliament
- “Artificial Intelligence at the Edge” – Dr. Istvan Andorko, Director of Engineering, Xperi
- “Trustworthy AI in the Automotive Industry” – Panel Discussion with SBD Automotive, BMW, Volkswagen, Renault, Faurecia and Xperi
- “Voice tech for kids, privacy and trustworthy AI” – Dr. Patricia Scanlon, Founder and CEO, Soapbox Labs
- “How current regulations support Europe’s position as a leader in AI” – John Patterson, VP and Associate General Counsel, Xperi
- Closing panel moderated by Barry O’Sullivan with Juha Heikkilä, Head of Unit, Directorate-General for Communications Networks, Content & Technology Robotics & Artificial Intelligence at the European Commission, Patricia Scanlon and Andrea Scroczynski
- Closing statements from Gabriel Cosgrave and Seán Kelly
The seminar was chaired by Prof. Barry O’Sullivan, Vice-Chair of High-Level Expert Group on Artificial Intelligence and the programme was co-ordinated by Charles Dawes, Senior Director International Marketing at Xperi.
You can view the on-demand version at Xperi.com.