ETSI is pleased to invite the international teaching community to its first face-to-face seminar on teaching standardization.
Professors, lecturers, and other teaching professionals will gather at ETSI on 6 October with the aim of forming the next generation of ICT Standards People.
As one of the leading standards bodies for ICT in Europe, and officially recognized by the European Union, ETSI has developed a textbook and a set of teaching materials on ICT standardization. Its 2nd edition, published in February 2022, “Understanding ICT Standardization: Principles and Practice”, was produced together with an extensive set of nearly 400 slides to be used as teaching aides. The teaching materials are versatile, may be used in full or in parts, and are suitable for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses, whether focusing on technical, legal, or commercial aspects.
The textbook is available free of charge to all. The complimentary comprehensive slide sets are available exclusively for teaching staff and upon request.
ETSI is currently partnering with almost 50 European universities, which have successfully integrated ICT standardization into their students’ curriculum, thus adding specific value to the course content. We offer advice and support to academic institutions that would like to follow such a path.
Why attend this event?
By joining the one-day event on 6 October, university professors, lecturers, and other teaching professionals have the opportunity to deep-dive into the different aspects of ICT standardization and quickly grasp how to make the best use of the materials.
Hosted in ETSI’s headquarters in Sophia Antipolis, ‘the Silicon Valley of Europe’, it offers a unique opportunity to meet the authors of the teaching materials and to provide comments and feedback. Furthermore, it is an excellent occasion to connect with the academic community and exchange best practices during the networking cocktail at the end of the day.
The following subjects will be covered during the day:
- The basics of ICT Standardization, Prof. Raffaele Bolla, University of Genoa
- The standards ecosystem, Dr. Alejandro Rodriguez-Ascaso, UNED - Spanish National Distance Learning University
- The production of standards for ICT, Dr. Michelle Wetterwald, Lecturer in Engineering Schools in Sophia Antipolis & Paris
- ICT standardization and innovation, Prof. Nizar Abdelkafi, Politecnico di Milano
- Standardization and strategy, Gavin Craik, ETSI
- A business perspective: ICT standardization and intellectual property rights (IPR), Prof. Rudi Bekkers, Eindhoven University of Technology
- The economic benefits of standards – especially in relation to public procurement, Prof. Nizar Abdelkafi, Politecnico di Milano
The full day programme will be published by the end of June 2022. Stay tuned!