The Publications Office of the European Union is organising the second edition of the EU Datathon competition that highlights the potential of linking EU and national data. The event started in May 2018, with the final phase taking place in Brussels on 2 October 2018.
Participants are invited to develop apps using at least one dataset made available by the EU institutions and agencies on the EU Open Data Portal. The apps can compete in one of the following four thematic challenges:
1. EU open data — For more innovation in Europe
2. National and EU law — Make legislation interoperable
3. EU public procurement — Value for citizens, value for businesses
4. European Food Safety Authority — Fostering data reuse and innovation
The first edition of the event in 2017 proved to be an opportunity for EU services, start-ups and businesses to interact, network, exchange ideas and create new apps using EU open data.
Concluding that first EU Datathon, Rudolf Strohmeier, Director-General of the Publications Office of the European Union explained what the event achieved: ‘…it has shown how interconnected we are, how interconnected all the data we generate are and how important it is to recognise and unlock the potential of this data reuse.’
The partners of the EU Datathon 2018 are:
- European Commission Directorate-General for Communications Networks, Content and Technologywith theEuropean Data Portal
- The European Commission Directorate-General for Informaticswith theISA² programme
For project proposals, please register here: https://publications.europa.eu/en/web/eudatathon/registration
Register for the final event here: https://publications.europa.eu/en/web/eudatathon/visitor-registration
To participate, learn more or follow the event, please visit https://publications.europa.eu/en/web/eudatathon