Following the success of the third ‘Beyond Borders: Breakfast Debate’ in June, the next edition of the series will focus on EU border regions: living labs of European integration.
This Breakfast Debate is inspired by the recent European Commission’s report of the same name which highlights the critical importance of cross border cooperation as a test bed for European integration, both inside and outside its external borders.
Significant progress has been made in boosting growth and cohesion in border regions. Important lessons are being learnt from the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly in the wider context of the challenges of the climate emergency and the need for a sustainable recovery.
At the event, the European Commission will discuss the report and its key findings. Well qualified speakers from the territories will highlight concrete examples of cross-border challenges and their solutions. This will be followed by a panel discussion on the future of the border regions and pathways to maximising their potential.
Meet our speakers:
- Slawomir Tokarski, Director for Industrial Policy and Innovation, DG REGIO, European Commission
- Lea Vutt, Head of International Projects, Valga Municipality - on behalf of the HealthcareTwinning project in Valga-Valka (EE-LV)
- Arjan Schipaanboord, Project leader Energy transition and Sustainability, North Sea Port- on behalf of the cross-border transport of CO2 in the North sea port project (BE-NL)
- Ocskay Gyula,Secretary General, Central European Service for Cross-Border Initiatives (CESCI)
- Desislava Tencheva, Chief expert, INTERREG-IPA CBC Programmes Department, Directorate Territorial Cooperation Management, Ministry of regional development and Public Works of Bulgaria
The event will be held online on Zoom.
‘Beyond Borders: Breakfast Debates’ is a series of online events organised by the Border Focal Point Network and is designed to highlight ways in which obstacles to cross-border cooperation can be reduced as well as to promote the pooling of services along the EU’s internal borders.
Register here and join the conversation.